Current role & relevant experience
Independent English/EAL/Literacy teacher and consultant
Diane is an independent English/EAL/Literacy teacher and consultant with over 30 years experience in teaching, teacher development/training and subject/school leadership and improvement, primarily in multilingual, multicultural London schools and LAs.
She has worked cross phase from EYFS to KS5. Diane’s professional roles include Head of English in two Secondary Schools, whole school Literacy Lead, LA English/Literacy Consultant in Greenwich and EAL Advisory Team Leader in the London Borough of Sutton.
She is an EAL Academy Associate and an Expert Advisor for The Key and contributes regularly to the Optimus Knowledge base. Diane has written about EAL for ATL Magazine, Schools Week and UK Ed Chat and presented workshops and keynotes for a range of audiences and contexts, including The Key, Optimus, Northern Rocks, Practical Pedagogies and TeachMeet London. She is also a NALDIC Co-opted Executive.
Diane can support schools with bespoke strategic and practical consultancy in relation to EAL and Literacy planning and provision.
- EAL Leadership
- Review of EAL provision and strategic development planning, including interventions
- EAL Policy: theory into Practice
- EAL assessment and tracking
- Research informed EAL Pedagogy and language development strategies
- Lesson Study and coaching for EAL/Literacy
- Partnership Teaching
- Multilingual creativity and ways to maintain and develop first language/s
- Strategies for International New Arrivals
- Participatory language development : oracy, collaborative learning, reading and writing
- Creative approaches to grammar and SPaG
- Subject Specific Literacy development and English for Academic Purposes
- Cultural competence and equalities provision
- Family literacy and community cohesion
Geographical area of work
Diane is based in London but happy to travel.